How Marketing Jobs Will Evolve In The Future
“Artificial intelligence, deep learning, machine learningーwhatever you’re doing, if you don’t understand itーlearn it. Because otherwise, you’re going to be a dinosaur within three years.” — Mark Cuban
As the evolution of artificial intelligence continues to grow at an exponential rate, us marketers may be wondering, will this computer end up taking my job? What will a marketing department look like in five years? How do marketing professionals need to prepare for the jobs of the future? What will a typical work day look like?
These are all valid questions. And to an extent, all marketing jobs will change as a result of the integration of AI. But, don’t worry. There is a world in which we can harmoniously exist with AI and use it to become more efficient and agile marketers. Get ready to co-bot!
The Marketing Team of the Future: What Will We Do?
Today, we see that there are multiple people within each marketing function. For example, in larger companies, you may find that three to five people are involved in similar roles such as social media or blogging.
In about 3-5 years, Nancy A. Shenker, CEO, theONswitch® believes some of these roles will be combined, and that. in the next 10 years, we will start to see staff reductions by 25-50% because of the integration of AI.
(Nancy A. Shenker: Embrace The Machine)
So, what will we be doing?
According to Shenker, if you’re a CMO, the next 5-10 years of your life will look a little something like this:
- Marketing vision
- Brand integration and highly personalized customer marketing
- Tough decisions regarding team structure, as the evolution to machine is underway
- Spending and competitive strategy based on machine-supplied data
- Brand and customer optimization based on immediate machine-supplied data
- Leadership definition changes as staff size comes down
And if you’re on the marketing team, the next 5-10 years of your career will look something like this with machine-assisted functions:
- Content curation
- Analytics and data scientists
- Cross-platform creative (video, print, digital, social ー all machine-assisted)
- Machine-assisted events and PR
- Marketing psychologists (brand and customer stewards)
- Content counsel (replaces multiple functions)
- Marketing system engineers
- Voice will rule
- Creative automation strategists
How To Get Ready For The Future of AI
As the marketing world becomes more automated, it’s imperative to know how to keep your head above water with the changes.
Shenker’s three tips to prepare for this monumental challenge and change are: 1) keep an open mind; 2) continue to learn; and 3) mentor. Accept the fact that marketing is going to change and become more automated in the years ahead. Continue to read articles like this and stay up to date on new developments and trends with AI.
Sign Up For AI Academy for Marketers Today
These insights came from CMO + ???: The Marketing Organization of the Future, an AI Academy for Marketers course presented by Nancy A. Shenker (@theonswitch) of theONswitch®.
AI Academy for Marketers is our members-only online education platform and community. The Academy features dozens of on-demand courses and certifications taught by leading AI and marketing experts.
The courses are complemented by additional exclusive content, including:
- Live monthly Ask Me Anything sessions with instructors.
- The Answering AI series of quick-take videos that provides simple answers to common AI questions.
- Keynote presentations from the Marketing AI Conference (MAICON).
- AI Tech Showcase product demos from leading AI-powered vendors.
Individual and team licenses are available. Discounts are offered for students, educators and nonprofits.
Ready to discover these and other important AI concepts? Sign up for the AI Academy below.