Do you rely on social media to build an audience, drive engagement with your brand and content, and convert prospects into leads or sales?
If so, you need to be considering how artificial intelligence can dramatically increase the revenues you bring in from social, while reducing the costs of social media creation and management.
AI-powered tools are being deployed today by brands to:
- Create social media posts.
- Figure out what posts work best.
- Measure brand and trends across social platforms.
- Write social ads.
- Decrease management time and costs across platforms.
In this post, we describe how AI can transform how you do social media, then offer some practical use cases and vendors to start investigating.
What is artificial intelligence (AI)?
Artificial intelligence is an umbrella term that covers several different technologies, like machine learning, computer vision, natural language processing, deep learning, and more.
At their core, though, all of these technologies help machines perform specific cognitive tasks as well as or better than humans.
For instance, AI-powered computer vision systems in self-driving cars are able to identify obstacles just like people do, allowing the machine to take the wheel.
Your favorite voice assistant, like Alexa or Siri, understands your words just like another person, then responds in kind—all using AI.
Amazon and Netflix use AI recommendation engines to offer up products and movies you might like, making assumptions about your preferences just like a fellow product or movie enthusiast might.
While there are a ton of complexities to different types of AI, all you really need to know right now is that “artificial intelligence” describes many different types of smart technologies. And many of these technologies can have a serious impact your marketing career and performance.
That’s because AI isn’t just automation, though it may include elements of intelligent automation. AI takes things a few steps further.
These technologies analyze large datasets. They don’t just crunch numbers, though. They use advanced computer science techniques and superior computational firepower to extract insights from data. These insights can then be used to make predictions, recommendations, and decisions.
In the process, the most advanced AI systems actually learn to improve their predictions, recommendations, and decisions as they make more of them.
Why AI is relevant to social media
Artificial intelligence makes social media marketing better in two big ways:
- Decrease costs — AI can partially or fully automate some of the more labor-intensive tasks that take up your team's time, freeing them up to focus on higher-value tasks. That includes activities like scheduling and uploading shares, pulling relevant links and hashtags, and making research into what to post easier and faster.
- Increase revenue — AI can also dramatically enhance the efficacy of your social media content and strategy, which translates into better engagement and results from your social media investments. AI can help you better determine which posts will be most effective, which audiences are most relevant, and which channels work best. It can even write ads that are more effective for you.
That's because AI excels at extracting insights and patterns from large sets of data, including finding signals from social media platforms, advertising data, audience data, and social media performance data.
AI has a ton of powerful use cases across different social media marketing channels, objectives, and disciplines.
Use cases for AI in social media
Social creation and management
AI and intelligent automation can help you produce sharable content for social media and then manage the distribution of that content.
- Create social media posts faster. AI social media tools use historical social media data to learn what works and what to post next, then help you produce social media posts at scale.
- Develop the right messages for each platform. AI can automatically develop creative and messaging in your brand voice across platforms, including on Facebook and Instagram.
- Save time managing social. AI can analyze your audience and help you manage your work across different social channels.
A number of AI-powered tools exist to deliver insights from your brand’s social media content, profiles and audience.
- Measure brand and trends across social. AI-powered social media intelligence can help companies measure and improve brand equity, detect consumer trends, and understand target audiences.
- Determine what to post for maximum effect. AI-powered social media tools can also analyze your posts and the posts of other companies to recommend what to post, how often to post, and what creative will be most effective.
Artificial intelligence tools exist today that will actually write social media ads for you. The ads are optimized for clicks and conversions, thanks to AI’s ability to predict at scale which language will improve results.
- Write Facebook and Instagram ads. Today, AI can write Facebook and Instagram short-form ad copy for you.
- Manage and improve social media advertising. AI can also analyze PPC advertising across Facebook and Instagram, then offers recommendations to improve performance based on data.
Vendors that offer AI tools for social media
Now that you know what AI can do for SEO, you might be wondering what solutions out there actually do it.
Persado's AI automatically learns your brand voice, then writes like your brand on Facebook and Instagram.
Socialbakers uses AI to power social influencer discovery, audience analysis, and to manage social media activities across channels.
Lately uses AI to produce social media messages at scale from your content, learning what works best over time.
Linkfluence leverages AI to help companies detect consumer trends across social media channels.
Cortex uses artificial intelligence to determine what social media posts work best and what creative will be most effective.
Phrasee uses advanced AI and machine learning to automatically write Facebook and Instagram ads for you in your brand voice.
WordStream's AI manages paid ad spend across Facebook and Instagram, helping you build more efficient and effective campaigns.
About Mike Kaput
Mike Kaput is Chief Content Officer at Marketing AI Institute and a senior consultant at PR 20/20. He writes and speaks about how marketers can understand, adopt, and pilot artificial intelligence to increase revenue and reduce costs. Full bio.