How Machine Learning Algorithms Can Spark Creativity in Your Company
We have been told “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” As a marketer, what if I told you beauty is in the eye of the algorithm? Keep reading to learn about the newest advances in AI and how machine learning can contribute to our creativity, allowing you to stand out against your competition.
Key takeaways from Beauty Is in the Eye of the Algorithm
Find Your Creative
Marketers are faced with the obligation to constantly create new content to feed the algorithms running search and social platforms. That is a lot of work. Stop guessing what attracts customers and what doesn’t. Instead, use tools that can tell you that information.
AI can help in two ways:
- Develop new practices. The data provided may give you insight on new steps that can be taken to improve your content marketing.
- Develop new jumping-off points. Algorithms can identify new starting-points for your content marketing, allowing you to perform better against competitors.
Remember that while machines can save time and increase results, this is not a reason for humans to not do any work. AI generated algorithms give you the information you need, but only humans can create ideas based on that information. Algorithms guide you in the right direction; they don’t give you solutions.
How an Algorithm Works
Human’s identify things through sight, smell, touch, taste, and hearing. Our five senses constantly collect information, allowing us to learn. An algorithm is developed in a similar, yet completely different way.
For example, computer vision is a tool that allows the computer to interpret images, faces, and more. Granular differences between two species of fish, for instance, can be identified through continual exposure to those images. Each picture that is identified within the system builds the computer’s overall “knowledge,” allowing it to understand what the objects are and how they relate to each other.
The key here is large data sets. Constant data intake develops machine-based algorithms.
What an algorithm can evolve to do:
- Answer questions. It may be able to answer questions such as “What color is the tie?” based on previous data indicating what black looks like.
- Create content. For example, the Associated Press states that AI frees up to 20% of a reporter's time by generating drafts of articles that humans will edit later.
Downfalls of Algorithms
It is important to acknowledge the cons to algorithms in order to create an efficient system. These include:
- Lack of accuracy: AI is not perfect. It can only create based on what it knows and the data it is fed. This leaves room for bias and inaccuracies within content.
- Questionable ethics: Bias regarding race, gender, diversity, and inclusion can be prevalent in AI. If the AI has only been exposed to a white man’s face, it may only show results pertaining to white men.
- Deep fakes: AI has the capability to generate content that has never existed. For example, photos or videos of actual people doing or saying something they never did. This can cause an ethical dilemma for marketers, as creating “fake” people can mislead.
AI and machine learning should be explored, as they have tremendous opportunity to improve the performance and efficiency of your content marketing, but it is important to know the associated risks.
Differentiate Yourself From Your Competitors
Algorithms give you answers by showing you what has worked in the past. This is attractive to a lot of brands. However, there is a downfall. If everyone is looking at the same data, then everyone will have similar content. Don’t allow algorithms to force you and your competitors into the same creative bandwagon.
This is where the human role comes into play. Once the “norm” is established by your algorithm, think about what your company has to offer. Identify a niche that will make you different from everyone else around you.
Think of AI as a partner in creativity, not as a replacement for human innovation.
Want To Learn More About What AI Can Do for You?
AI Academy for Marketers is our members-only online education platform and community. The Academy features dozens of on-demand courses and certifications taught by leading AI and marketing experts.
The courses are complemented by additional exclusive content, including:
- Live monthly Ask Me Anything sessions with instructors.
- The Answering AI series of quick-take videos that provides simple answers to common AI questions.
- Keynote presentations from the Marketing AI Conference (MAICON).
- AI Tech Showcase product demos from leading AI-powered vendors.
Individual and team licenses are available. Discounts are offered for students, educators and nonprofits.
Ready to discover these and other important AI concepts? Sign up for the AI Academy below.